Loading…

Icon Nomhle Nkonyeni to join march against gender violence

June 13, 2018 at 12:46
Icon Nomhle Nkonyeni to join march against gender violence

Nomhle Nkonyeni will join hundreds of women on August 1st in the march against gender-based violence.

She decided to join the walk because of her daughter who was murdered in her house by her boyfriend. It has been nine years since then, and she is still struggling to pick up the pieces.

Loading...

“I joined this campaign because I wanted to be part of the women who are fighting for change. Enough is enough.

“Losing my daughter was the most painful thing that I ever experienced in my life.

“In the past years, I have tried to put that behind me but I am constantly reminded of her by the killings we see in our society.”

Call to action

Spokeswoman for National Shut Down Against Gender Based Violence, Lesley Ncube, said the march would take place in all provinces as well as in Lesotho and Botswana.

She said the killings of women, children, gender non-conforming people and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) at the hands of men in South Africa needed an urgent attention.

“We have nothing to celebrate. Every week we receive multiple reports of women who have been brutally murdered, kidnapped or abused, and there is no sense of urgency from our leaders to find ways in which society can tackle this violence.

“This is a national crisis. We call on all women to stay away from work and join the protest on August 1 in their respective provinces, universities and colleges,” Ncube said.

She added that a memorandum of demands would be handed over to government on the day of the protest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


in Entertainment
Loading...
mm

Journalist, Blogger. Lover of life, your girl next door